Ever get caught up in watching the food competition shows on the Food Network channel? I do…so I decided to challenge my students to be innovative and creative with the basic grilled cheese sandwich in our “Grill Off Competition!”
Class Time: 2-3 Periods (43 minutes)
Class Size: 16
- 8.5.9 Prepare sandwiches, canapés and appetizers using safe handling and professional preparation techniques.
- Introduce the Grill Off Challenge by going over the guide sheet (provided below).
- To give students an idea of just how creative they could get with this challenges, I introduced them to the website dedicated to grilled cheese sandwiches; the Grilled Cheese Academy.
- Allow cooking groups to research different flavors, cheese combinations, and ingredients and put together a unique and creative grilled cheese sandwich.
- Students will write their recipe, figure out ingredient amounts, and create a name and description for their new grilled cheese sandwich.
- In the meantime, I will put together a panel of teacher and staff judges to evaluate the sandwich challenge creations.
- The winning recipe will be published in the local newspaper along with students’ picture with their new grilled cheese sandwich.
3 comments for “Grill Off: The Grilled Cheese Challenge”