If we’ve heard it once we’ve heard it a thousand times…BREAKFAST is the most important meal of the day! Eating a healthy breakfast benefits us in many ways such as providing nutrients and energy, maintaining weight, boosting metabolism, and helping us to focus and do well in school and work. Unfortunately many students skip breakfast and end up suffering negative consequences. This lesson helps students understand why eating breakfast is important, why skipping breakfast isn’t worth it, and has students researching quick, healthy breakfast foods that can be prepared by anyone.
Class Time: 4 periods (43 minutes)
Class Size: 16
- 14.2.1 Analyze the effect of nutrients on health, appearance, and peak performance.
- 14.2.2 Analyze the relationship of nutrition and wellness to individual and family health throughout the life span.
- 14.3.3 Demonstrate ability to select, store, prepare, and serve nutritious and aesthetically pleasing foods.
- Divide students into small groups of 3-4 and assign each group a different article (links in lesson plan) on the topic of breakfast. Students are to:
A. Read the article.
B. Make a poster that includes the following:
a. Title and author
C. Present the poster orally to the class.
Projector & Screen
On the second day, after students present their posters, follow the information with a review game to make sure they grasped the important points about eating breakfast.
At this point I show students what can happen if breakfast is skipped by viewing a clip from Kickin Kitchen titled “No Breakfast No Bueno”. **This is now a paid curriculum/video series and no longer free.
Follow with the graded Breakfast Word Sort assignment.
Assign students either alone or in partners the Five Days of Easy & Nutritious Breakfasts project by researching ideas from the internet and Pinterest.
Prepare and serve a nutritious breakfast in the lab (optional).
The Breakfast Sort, Five Days Project and Breakfast Lab are graded.
- Why Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day
- What Happens When You Skip Breakfast
- The Many Benefits of Breakfast
- Fact or Fiction: Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day