Class Size: 20
- 9.3.5 Analyze recipe/formula proportions and modifications for food production.
- 9.5.6 Conduct sensory evaluations of food products.
- Variety of granola bar ingredients such as:
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Coffee Grounds
- Coco Powder
- Mini Marshmallows
- Dried Mango
- Dried Pineapple
- Wheat Germ
- Wheat Bran
Background for Teachers
- If you’ve read the majority of my lessons you know already that I am a really big fan of experimenting and allowing students to figure it out even if they get it wrong. For this lesson I like to give students a general idea of how to make granola bars (See recipe) but then let them choose from a “bar” of ingredients to make their bars unique. If they keep the proportions similar to the base recipe they usually turn out just fine.
- One tip I like to tell my students is to think outside of the box. Do granola bars have to be bar shaped? Check out the recipes in the “links” section below for inspiration.
- Working in groups of four students will create their own unique granola bars. I have students write down their recipe as they go and hand it in with a reflection of how the product turned out in the end.
- If you have time have your students draw packaging for their granola bar. What health claims can be made about their bars?