Become a nutritionist for a day! This lesson has students to becoming a dietician for a day. They write an analysis of a particular client’s dietary related aliment as well as plan a week long menu for that client. Client’s aliments include diverticulitis, celiac disease, Prader-Willi syndrome, dairy allergy, lactose in tolerance, emotional eating, type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol. This is a case study based assignment.
Time Frame: 1 block or homework assignment
- 9.1 Analyze career paths within food science, food technology, dietetics, and nutrition industries.
- 9.3.1 Analyze nutrient requirements across the life span addressing the diversity of people, culture, and religions.
- 9.6.1 Build menus to customer/ client preferences.
- Explore the steps involved in becoming a nutritionist via this website.
- Explain the project: “You are a nutritionist and each of the clients below needs your help to come up with a diet that they can live with in light of their current medical condition.” Your task is to create a menu for one week that fits your client’s needs. You are to create a packet to give your client including a letter explaining his/her condition and causes, a week’s menu with recipes and specific brands of food (if necessary).
- You may also want to go over the components of a professional cover letter
- Have students go to the computer lab to work on the project
- Have each student present his/her findings to the class
- Food Aliments Rubric (Word)
- Food Aliments Project (Word)