Food Network is very popular among my students so I decided to have them create their own show! I specifically have them demonstrate how to make a cake in front of the class but this idea can be tailored to any unit that lends itself to student demonstrations.
- Given a demonstration table and supplies, student groups will create a Food Network show and demonstrate how to make a cake of their choice for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Demonstration (how to make their cake)
- Demonstration Booklet
- Cover page & Picture
- Ingredient Functions
- Baking Terms
- Cost Analysis
- Interesting Facts
- Works Cited
- Poster (information about their show)
- Demonstration Counter
- Explain presentation procedures.
- Hand out peer scoring sheets
- First group gets set up
- First group presents while being video tapped
- First group passes out pieces of their cake
- First group cleans up
- Second group sets up
- Second group presents
- Second group passes out pieces of their cake
- Second group cleans up
Hint: I suggest no more than two groups presenting per day for block scheduling.
- Make sure the room is put back to normal & clean
- What was one piece of information you learned about cakes today?
- What is the hardest part about demonstrating in front of the class?
- What would you do differently about your cake presentation if you could do it over again?