Knife Skills Lesson Plan

Knife Skills Classroom SetupThis is by far my favorite educational video that I have ever purchased. Most educational videos are over a hundred dollars for a mediocre often corny video hardly worth the price. This video that was under twenty dollars made lasting impressions on my students as the majority of the class listed this lesson as the most valuable lesson they took out of Culinary II.

Time Frame: 1.5 hours

Class Size: 20 maximum

Objective

• To learn how to use the knife, carry the knife, and cut all kinds of food safely.

Set

• I place all tables in a row in the center of my room and project the video on the white board so students can stand on either side of the table.
  • Completely prep each student’s station with a cutting board, two towels, chef’s knife, garbage bowl, large bowl, and each vegetable cut in the video.

Materials

• Mastering Knife Skills Video Promo:

• This is by far my favorite educational video that I have ever purchased. Most educational videos are over one hundred dollars for a mediocre often corny video hardly worth the price. This video is under twenty dollars and makes lasting impressions on my students as the majority of my students listed this lesson as the most valuable lesson they learned from my Culinary class on their course evaluations.
  • Download Mastering Knife Skills Video (As of 9/12 they are no longer selling the physical DVD’s only the download for $4.95)

Instruction

Activity

• Students follow along with the video cutting up each vegetable. I pause the video after he shows the complete technique to give them time to practice.
  • What to do with all the chopped vegetables: soups, freeze for later, salad.

Links

9 comments for “Knife Skills Lesson Plan

1. Tammy
    September 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Try using playdough to practice with until students are able to succesfully master each cut…saves on fruit and vegetable costs!

2. Susan Moberg
    August 5, 2012 at 12:44 am

The Kitchen on Fire knife skills video is only available as a downloadable file from their website. It's only 4.95 and my students love it.

3. Jeannette
    September 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I just went on Amazon and the video is not available any more. Do you have any other suggestions for knife skills video?

• September 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm

They are no longer selling the physical DVD’s only the download for $4.95. Here is the Link

4. Stephanie
    August 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Hi, the video is no longer for sale or download 🙁
    I emailed the company…If anyone has a copy and I could get the approval from the KOF people, would someone be willing to email or send me a copy?

5. Elizabeth
    November 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Hi!
    I purchased this video last year, and like you, my students loved it. This year I went to show it again, and the file is corrupt, and would not play. I too emailed the company and heard nothing back. I know it's not as long, or as in depth, but this Alton Brown youtube video was really informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=pKgGlpe45T0 the video quality is not great, but the information is. I <3 Alton Brown!!! Hope this helps.

6. Pam
    April 14, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I would love to get a copy of the video but its not available. Anyone have a copy they can send me?

7. beth
    November 7, 2015 at 12:06 pm

What fruits and vegetables do they practice on?

• K.Graybill
      November 7, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Students practice on apples, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, onions and garlic.