This lesson compels students to analyze fast food marketing practices specifically the marketing efforts aimed at children and teenagers. Using Neilsen commercial data, students answer a variety of questions and draw their own conclusions.
Time Frame: 1 Block + homework
- Analyze current trends in food product development and marketing targeted to children & teenagers.
- 14.1 Analyze factors that influence nutrition and wellness practices across the life span.
- Have students work in pairs to answer the fast food nutrition quiz questions. Go over the answers as a class asking for any correct answer(s) that surprised students.
- Neilsen Fast Food Facts Marketing Rankings
- Fast Food Baby
- Watch Fast Food Baby Documentary.
- Students should read through the Neilsen fast food facts marketing rankings and answer the questions on the “Fast Food Worksheet.”
- Homework: Fast Food Commercials Assignment. Have students watch 2 hours of television and track & analyze the food commercials. Chart provided in the assignment document.
Links: Nutrition Guides By Restaurant
Similar Lesson Plans
- A Nutritional Analysis of America’s Obsession with Fast Foods
- Fast Food Nation