It’s important for culinary students to learn how to make foods that cater to certain dietary needs or preferences. There is no doubt that many restaurants now and in the future will be more diet conscious and find it necessary to include menu items for people with food allergies and specialty diets. This is lesson allows students to prepare a delicious southwestern tasting veggie burger that is quick and easy to make.
Time Frame: 1 block
- Demonstrate preparation for all menu categories and produce a variety of food products.
- Discussion: What are some reasons people become vegetarians? (see article below) What are some reasons not to be a vegetarian?
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa
- 15oz can Kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ cup green chilies, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Before students break into lab groups and make the recipe, demonstrate how to use the food processor, go over some facts about the ingredients quinoa and green chile (if you’re not teaching in NM) if students are unfamiliar with them.
- Students will work with their lab group to make veggie burgers. The recipe itself is pretty quick so there is definitely time for an accompanying side dish or book work.
- Green Chile
- Quinoa-Avacado Verrines Recipe
- Why go Veg?
- Are There Any Benefits of Being a Vegetarian?