Time Frame: 1.5 blocks
- Given a lecture on prenatal development, students will describe development during each of the stages of prenatal development.
1. Students will identify and describe the stages of prenatal development: zygote/ovum, embryo, and fetus.
2. Discuss various types of development that occur during the three trimesters of pregnancy.
3. Students will list symptoms or signs of pregnancy.
- Watch first 7 minutes of the Miracle of life DVD or similar YouTube Video.
- Powerpoint lecture
- Handout “A Month at a Time Chart”- for students to complete during the lecture.
- Story time- share your birth story by reading them your “where I started” sample book
- Have students tell their story of where they started by using the directions and rubric titled “Where I started Booklet”
- What is the first stage of development of a baby?
- What tube carries the mom’s nutrients to the embryo?
- What is the purpose of the placenta?
- Why is important not to drink during pregnancy especially the early weeks? What part of the new baby is being formed during this time?
- “Where I started” Booklet
- Quiz three stages of prenatal development
- Stages of Fetal Development (PowerPoint)
- “Where I Started” Directions and Rubric (Word)
- Stages of Prenatal Development PPT Quiz (PowerPoint)
- A Month at a Time Chart (PDF)
2 comments for “Prenatal Development Lesson”