Objective: Apply food preparation guidelines related to fruits and vegetables. Practice presentation and safe food handling procedures.
- Review proper food handling procedures for ready to eat foods.
- Review how to cook chicken properly and how to take the internal temperature to make sure it is fully cooked before slicing.
- Assign group roles.
Background for Teachers
- This is one of the schools more popular take home meals that faculty and staff can purchase to take home for dinner.
- I usually have the students make bread dough the class before to accompany the salad. One semester we made basic focaccia bread the other semester we made oatmeal molasses bread.
- Pear Salad Profit Sheet (Excel) – change this document to match your pricing and ingredient costs.
- You can also make lunch portions and deliver or serve them to the faculty for lunch.
- Marinate the chicken in Italian dressing the day before for super delicious chicken to accompanies this salad perfectly!
- Hand out evaluations with each salad you deliver. Read evaluations to the class after you get them back.
- Sample Take Home Meals Order Form (Word)
- Group 1: make the balsamic vinaigrette & fill portion cups
- Group 2: cook and slice the chicken
- Group 3: make the candied pecans
- Group 4: prep the pear, Gorgonzola, and lettuce and start assembly
- Group 5: shape, proof, bake the bread
- Evaluation of pear salad (Word)
- If you want to make this a more in depth lesson have your students price out the salads and determine the selling price and profit. Being able to use Excel is a great life skill!
- What did our class do well today?
- What challenges did you face today?
- What was the hardest part of this fundraiser?
- What could the class do differently next time to make this fundraiser more efficient?
- Pear Salad Recipe (Word)