Time Frame: 1.5 hours
Class Size: 20 ideal
- Students will be able to perform the steps to folding and washing laundry, taking out stains, sewing on a button, ironing dress clothes, and tying a tie. Students will also be able to judge what colors look good and bad on themselves according to their skin color.
- Have the stations already set up. Ask students to place their belongings in a corner out of the way.
- Pre-stained fabric swatches
- 2 cans Hair spray
- 8 Tooth brushes
- Lemon juice
- Dish Soap
- Bar Soap
- Laundry Detergent
- 2 Large Erasers
- 2 sinks
- Baking soda
- Thread & Needles
- Fabric Swatches
- Old clothes & sheets to fold
- Dress pants & shirts to iron (ask students to bring them in)
- 5 Dress ties
- Color Bibs & Color Me Beautiful Book
- Directions for each station printed out
Background for Teachers
- Classroom Set up: Since I teach seniors, and it is hard to get enough free teachers or parents to participate, I don’t have an adult or facilitator at each station. I personally check off their task completions (see Station Check off List below) and use either YouTube videos, or make your own printed instructions for each group to follow. I supervise the learning to make sure everyone is participating and answer questions.
- Students will have 10 minutes at each station to complete the task. At the completion of the task they are to get their list signed by the teacher.
Station 1: Sewing on Buttons
Station 2: Ironing a Collard Shirt
Station 3: Ironing Dress Pants
Station 4: Finding Your Colors
Station 5: Tie a Tie
Station 6: Sorting & Folding Laundry
Station 7: Washing & Drying Clothes
Station 8: Dye Based Stain Removal
Station 9: Oil Based Stain Removal
- Did you already know how to do all of these things?
- What did you learn today?
- How do you think you will use these skills in the future?