It is common to teach high school and college students about how to interview for jobs, how to fill out resumes and how to get a degree in line with their passion. It is not very common to teach students how to succeed on their very first internship. Not all interns are created equal. There are key differentiating factors. This lesson aims to teach students how to have a meaningful internship experience. This lesson can also be geared to students who are getting their first job.
Time Frame: 1 period
- 1.2.2 Demonstrate job seeking and job keeping skills.
- 1.2.8 Demonstrate work ethics and professionalism.
- Read the Article, “Lessons Learned from Unpaid Internships.”
- Discuss as a class the pros and cons of an unpaid internship
- Discuss as a class the importance of internships
Watch a youtube video on professional attire here.
Students will choose one of the following projects to complete:
- Dress for success Poster
- Internship Experiences Interviews (3 Non-Family Members)
- Students will present their projects to the class (see presentation rubric). The class should ask questions and discuss relevant points about each presentation.
- Getting the most out of your Internship (Word)
- Internship Experiences Interview Project (Word)
- Dress for Success Post Project (Word)
- Oral Presentation Rubric (PDF)