The students will discover differences and similarities in each other, which contribute to making them unique through this creative lesson plan where students make a paper “pizza slice” that represents their interests, personality, hobbies, etc. This is a great ice breaking kind of lesson for students to get to know one another.
11.2.6.C Classify the components of effective teamwork and leadership.
1. The students will compare and contrast their unique personalities and interests to relate to self-concept by completing the “A Slice of Me” project.
2. The students will discover differences and similarities in each other, which contribute to making them unique.
- The teacher will lead a discussion about ideas of self-concept by asking the following questions:
- What makes us different/the same?
- How could we learn more about one another?
- Why is it important to learn about each other?
- Prep: Class Pizza bulletin board set up. The teacher’s own pizza slice is created and hung up on board as an example to class.
- One cutout per student of the ‘Pizza Slice’ template.
- One copy per student of ‘A Slice of Me Rubric.’
- Craft materials: Magazines, scissors, glue, tape, markers, crayons, pens
- The teacher will demonstrate and present to the class her pizza slice.
- After her presentation she will tell the students that they will each be creating their own pizza slice and will share it to the class.
- The teacher will pass out to each student one copy of “A Slice of Me’ Rubric, one cut out of a pizza slice, and craft materials.
- The teacher will ask for volunteers to read out loud to the class each step of the rubric.
- The teacher will ask if the students have any questions about the rubric and project in general and answer them.
- The teacher will ask the students to start to create their individual pizza slices for the remainder of class.
- The teacher will tell the students that if they did not complete their pizza slice to take it home and finish it for homework. The teacher will tell the students to be ready to present their pizza slice for the class during the next class period.
- The teacher will ask for volunteers first, or choose students to present their own pizza slice.
- The teacher will ask the students in the audience to pay attention and to write down on a piece of paper one comment or question for each student.
- The teacher will tell the students to applaud themselves for the great job that they did in learning about their classmates. The teacher will ask the students to hand in the sheet of comments to the homework basket on the desk when they exit the classroom.
- The teacher will grade the students for their daily 10-point grade based on how well they participated in the discussions and if they used their time well for the class time to create their pizza slice.