Objective: Apply food preparation guidelines related to dairy and grains. Practice presentation and safe food handling procedures.
- Review proper food handling procedures for ready to eat foods.
- Assign group roles.
Background for Teachers
- This is one of the schools more popular take home meals that faculty and staff can purchase to take home and bake for dinner. That’s right it is assembled but not baked!
- You can also make lunch portions and deliver or serve them to the faculty for lunch.
- Stuffed Shells Take Home Meal Profits(Excel) – change this document to match your pricing and ingredient costs.
- Ingredient Tips: there are 5.5cups of ricotta in a 3lb(48oz) tub. There are 13 cups in a #10 can of spaghetti sauce. If your homemade sauce tastes burnt or bitter add some sugar.
- You can also have your baking class or the culinary class make garlic bread or focaccia bread as an accompaniment to the meal.
- Hand out evaluations with each meal you deliver. Read evaluations to the class after you get them back.
- Sample Take Home Meals Order Form (Word)
- Stuffed Shells Fundraiser Email Sample (Word)
- Purchase and cook a few extra boxes of pasta because some shells will be really broken or shredded looking. If you’re in a pinch and need to use the broken shell pieces simply fill them first and put them in the bottom of the pan. Use nice, whole shells for the top layer.
- It is really easy to run out of ingredients if students don’t scrape the containers completely with a rubber scraper. I usually account for some error in measuring just to make sure we don’t run out of ingredients–sauce and ricotta specifically.
- Have each group prepare 1-2 recipes from start to finish; assembling them in the foil tins.
- Evaluation -Stuffed Shells (Word)
- If you want to make this a more in depth lesson have your students price out the meal and determine the selling price and profit. Being able to use Excel is a great life skill!
- Make your own spaghetti sauce from scratch! Add one day for making the sauce.
- What did our class do well today?
- What challenges did you face today?
- What was the hardest part of this fundraiser?
- What could the class do differently next time to make this fundraiser more efficient?