Objective: Apply food preparation guidelines related to dairy and grains. Practice presentation and safe food handling procedures.
- Review proper food handling procedures for ready to eat foods.
- Assign group roles.
Background for Teachers
- This is one of my culinary program’s take home meals that faculty and staff can purchase to take home and bake for dinner. That’s right it is assembled but not baked!
- You can also make lunch portions and deliver or serve them to the faculty for lunch.
- Mac & Cheese Profit Sheet (Excel) – change this document to match your pricing and ingredient costs. This is one of the lower profit fundraisers due to the cost of the cheese.
- Ingredient Tips: I upped the amount of bread crumbs to 1/3 of a cup, the amount of salt to 3/4 a tsp and the bacon to 1/2 lb.
- Hand out evaluations with each meal you deliver. Read evaluations to the class after you get them back.
- Sample Take Home Meals Order Form (Word)
- It is really easy to run out of ingredients if students don’t measure the cheese the same way. I usually account for some error in measuring just to make sure we don’t run out. Tell your students to loosely fill the measuring cup with cheese or convert the recipe all to ounces and weigh the cheese to be more accurate.
- Have each group prepare 1-2 recipes from start to finish; assembling them in the foil tins.
- Evaluation- Mac & Cheese (Word)
- If you want to make this a more in depth lesson have your students price out the meal and determine the selling price and profit. Being able to use Excel is a great life skill!
- You can also have your culinary class make a garden salad as an accompaniment to the meal. Add an additional class if you’re going to make salad too.
- What did our class do well today?
- What challenges did you face today?
- What was the hardest part of this fundraiser?
- What could the class do differently next time to make this fundraiser more efficient?
- Mac and Cheese Labels (Word)