In the hit movie, Barbie, the main character finds herself in the human world with Ken. Suppose that while Barbie & Ken are in human land, they decide to travel the world. We all know that Barbie & Ken are fashionistas and they’d want to wear the latest styles and fashions of the countries they visit. However, they need your help! Continue reading Global Fashion with Barbie & Ken to learn more…
- Set the following premise with your students: In the hit movie, Barbie, the main character finds herself in the human world with Ken. Suppose that while Barbie & Ken are in human land, they decide to travel the world. We all know that Barbie & Ken are fashionistas and they’d want to wear the latest styles and fashions of the countries they visit. However, they need your help!
- Students will be given a country they plan to visit on their itinerary and it’s your job to do the research and design for them an appropriate outfit representing the country and culture they will be visiting. Countries can be randomly assigned or selected by students, but there should be no duplicates . See guide sheets for possible countries and directions.
- NOTE: Be sure you have enough Barbie and/or Ken dolls for each student. You can decide if you want students to create for just one doll or both. Dolls can be purchased new or used, or you can ask students to provide their own.
- iPads or Laptops
- Projector & Screen
- Barbie and Ken Dolls (affiliate links)
- Fabric Remnants and Embellishment Scraps
- Glue or fabric glue
- Needle and thread
- Fabric Markers
- Poster Supplies
- Students will research clothing styles of their assigned country. They should explore both traditional and contemporary fashion, considering the materials used, color schemes, climate and any cultural significance.
- Based on their research, students should sketch or plan the outfit designs for Barbie and/or Ken. Considerations should be made for the climate, cultural traditions, and any unique features of the clothing.
- Students will then create the outfits for Barbie and/or Ken out of fabric remnants and embellishment scraps. They can cut, sew, and glue the fabric to form the clothing. Encourage them to pay attention to details and be inventive in replicating the unique aspects of the chosen clothing styles.
- Have students complete reflection prompts about the clothing they created. This will require them to critically think and apply the information they learned about their country as they apply to their outfits.
- Students will create a visual using construction paper that depicts their country, the research findings, and the outfit(s) they created. This will be placed in a gallery walk with the actual dolls wearing their created attire.
- After students have completed their reflection prompts and created their visual, set up a gallery walk type of fashion show with all of the dolls in their outfits. Students will go through the gallery walk and then complete the Exit Prompts.