How do babies grow and develop? We were all there once and of course there are several theories on how we develop socially, emotionally, and cognitively. This lesson is a intro type lesson to the general concept of theorists and child development theory.
Time Frame: 1 block
- Identify theorist’s names and stages of growth and human development.
- Ask your class to find a partner and give them a timed five minutes to come up with a list of the stages they think people go through from birth to death. Bring it on in and have a class discussion of what they thought the stages of development were. Point out any gaps in ages or stages that you notice.
- Finger puppet stage
- Construction paper, scissors, tape, glue sticks, markets
- The Development of Children
- Child Development Theory PowerPoint lecture. If you need a refresher the Child Development Institute has some good quick articles to read.
- Students will create a finger puppet 2-5 minute skit demonstrating one of the stages of development from one of the theories discussed in class.
- To add a degree of technology you can make this a more extensive project and have students film their finger puppet skit using their cell phones or video cameras. Videos are a great addition to child development e-portfolios.
- Don’t have time for a whole puppet show? Have students find YouTube videos demonstrating one of Erikson’s stages of development. Then have the class watch the different clips in order of development.
- Child Development Theory (PowerPoint)
- What stage of Erikson’s development are you in? Why do you think so?
- What stage are your grandparents and parents in? Why do you think there are differences between people’s parent’s in the class?