I always ask my students what they would like to make the first day of class in a survey. I hate teaching the same thing over and over again in exactly the same way….yawn yawn, it gets boring. So to change it up, I had one semester where students really wanted to learn how to make Buffalo chicken wings so I substituted cutting up a whole chicken and frying it for this lesson. I love customizing the class to the students even if it means extra work for me!
Time Frame: 1 block
- 8.2.7 Demonstrate safe food handling and preparation techniques
- 8.5.1 Demonstrate professional skills in safe handling of knives, tools, and equipment.
- 8.5.5 Prepare various meats, seafood, and poultry using safe handling and professional preparation techniques.
- I still show them how to cut up a whole chicken via a YouTube video. I also offer extra credit for any student who cuts one up at home.
- Deep Fryer
- Chicken Wings
- Hot Sauce
- White Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Garnishing Vegetables like celery & carrots
- Blue Cheese Dressing
Background for Teachers
- Simply making the chicken wings is not that hard nor does it take too long so I challenged students to present their Buffalo wings elegantly. Additionally you can have students make blue cheese dressing from scratch. You can also provide a recipe for barbecue sauce if students prefer sweet over spicy wings.
- Make Buffalo wings, plate wings elegantly.
- Work on poultry lab questions.
- Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe (Word)
- Poultry Lab Questions (Word)
- Poultry Homework (Word)
- Home Cooking Extra Credit Form (Word)
- Chicken Wings National Report (National Chicken Council)
- Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Barbecue Sauce Recipe