Objective: Evaluate the effects of gender on life in America and around the world.
- Using the Smart Board or a white board ask the class to brainstorm and create a web around the word “GENDER.” Write responses on the board.
- For the second class, use the journal questions under “Attachments” to start the class.
- Have your students pick a topic below and teach one full class (1 ½ hours) teaching the class about their topic. You may choose to allow them a partner or teach by him/her self.
- Assign Gender an Autobiographical Exercise (below) as homework and start the following class with a discussion of the student’s findings.
- Gender & the Media
- Impact of gender role stereotypes by Media Awareness Network
- Discuss different advertisement pictures
- Gender & the Workplace
- Sexual harassment
- How should a male interact with a female boss?
- How do men and women work differently?
- Are there differences in pay scale between sexes? Why?
- Gender Around the World
- Are women’s rights the same around the world?
- Does a culture bring out a man or woman’s ability?
- Do some cultures limit men or women?
- Does order come from gender roles?
- Is there oppression of either gender in countries around the world?
- Have there been any uprisings combating gender oppression?
- What is the history of men and women’s traditional roles and how they have changed with time?
- Are country leaders always one or the other gender?
- Gender & Religion
- What are women’s roles in religion (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism)?
- Are there similarities across religions?
- Do women take leadership roles? In what ways?
- Is one gender considered higher than the other in each religion?
- What gender is the “head” or god of each religion?
- Gender & Body Image
- What are the differences in the way men and women view their bodies?
- What are the differences between men and women when it comes staying healthy? Like going to the doctors, eating healthy, etc?
- Eating disorders and how they occur.
- Gender & Friendships
- What are the differences between a guy-guy friendship and a girl-girl friendship?
- Do guys and girls make friends the same way?
- How do girls that are friends interact?
- How do guys that are friends interact?
- How do girls and guys handle betrayal differently?
- Gender & Marriage
- How to finding a spouse that is healthy & good person
- True love
- Stages of marriage
- How to keep a happy marriage
- Divorce proofing a marriage
- Benefits of marriage
8. Gender & Stress
- What things stress out women that don’t stress out men?
- What things stress out men that don’t stress out women?
- What are life’s biggest stressors?
- What are some strategies for men and women to handle stress together? Ex. How would a couple handle the death of a child
- How do men and women handle stress differently? Work stress, marital stress, internal stress?
- Students should create a lesson plan for their lesson. Lesson plans should be approved for content, length, and depth of information. See Creating a Lesson Plan attachment.
- Give students a few days to put together their lessons.
- Assign presentation dates.
- Gender an Autobiographical Exercise (Word)
- Creating a Lesson Plan Instructions (Word)
- Blank Lesson Plan (Word)
- Male/Female Journal Questions (Word)
- Sexual Violations