Objective: Apply food preparation guidelines related to fruits and vegetables. Practice presentation and safe food handling procedures.
- Review proper food handling procedures for ready to eat foods.
- Review how to cook chicken properly and how to take the internal temperature to make sure it is fully cooked before slicing.
- Assign group roles.
Background for Teachers
- This is one of the schools more popular take home meals that faculty and staff can purchase to take home for dinner.
- I usually have the students make bread dough the class before to accompany the salad. One semester we made basic focaccia bread the other semester we made Joy of Cooking’s Oatmeal Molasses bread.
- Pear Salad Profit Sheet (Excel) – change this document to match your pricing and ingredient costs.
- You can also make lunch portions and deliver or serve them to the faculty for lunch.
- Marinate the chicken in Italian dressing the day before for super delicious chicken to accompanies this salad perfectly!
- Hand out evaluations with each salad you deliver. Read evaluations to the class after you get them back.
- Sample Take Home Meals Order Form (Word)
- Group 1: make the balsamic vinaigrette & fill portion cups
- Group 2: cook and slice the chicken
- Group 3: make the candied pecans
- Group 4: prep the pear, Gorgonzola, and lettuce and start assembly
- Group 5: shape, proof, bake the bread
- Evaluation of pear salad (Word)
- If you want to make this a more in depth lesson have your students price out the salads and determine the selling price and profit. Being able to use Excel is a great life skill!
- What did our class do well today?
- What challenges did you face today?
- What was the hardest part of this fundraiser?
- What could the class do differently next time to make this fundraiser more efficient?
- Pear Salad Recipe (Word)