We have come to a critical place as educators–to embrace technology or try to beat it down by forcing kids to keep it in their lockers or not bring it to school. While technology should not distract from learning it can enhance it if we let it. Here are some Apple App’s to aide in teaching Family Consumer Sciences.
Martha’s Cookie App ($4.99)
- This is a beautiful cookie app from Martha Stewart. Get inspired by some of the best pictures and cookie recipes around.
Compare it ($.99)
- Help your students compare the real cost of groceries by using this comparison App. “Compare It is a comparison calculator to compare pretty much anything with a price and a quantity, but is most useful while doing your shopping and looking for the best deal.”
Embroidery App (Free)
- This App is great for those who want to learn embroidery. It shows you how to do different stitches and even has all the directions for left handed folk. Great tool for teaching students.
Food Additives ($3.99)
- We’ve all wondered what does the long word in the ingredient list mean? Check it out with this food additive App that tells you more about the unidentifiable ingredients found on your packaging.
- Ever wondered where your food comes from? If you have the iPhone you simply scan the produce’s bar code and it will tell you where the produce came from.
Houzz- Home Design (FREE)
- This App has over 60,000 photos and 130,000 ideabooks, Houzz has the largest database of home design ideas on the net. Browse photos by style, room and location and save them to your virtual idea book — it’s the equivalent of clipping design magazines to a scrapbook — making ideas easier to search, save, and share. Experience Houzz.com as an iPad app and save your photos locally for offline access.
Quilt Block App
- This innovative application features rotary-cutting directions for over 500 options for making traditional quilt blocks, plus bonus reference tables every quilter needs. The blocks come in 5 sizes.
- There are so many recipe Apps out there. This one looks the best so far….new ones come out all the time. Dinner Spinner is pretty neat helping stimulate your palate. Pro version available for $2.99.
- Allows students to create flashcards to study for exams on their phones. It scores their practice exams and keeps track of their progress.
How can Apple products be used in our classrooms?
- An iPad in every Classroom: Teacher Tested; Student Approved