- Given a lecture and supplies, the student will design and price a purse, exhibiting at least five elements of fashion design with complete accuracy.
- A collection of purses & bags displayed creatively on a table.
- Scrap fabric assortment
- Trims & buttons & beads
- Closures such as zippers
- Poster Board
- Hot Glue
- Lecture on fashion merchandising
- Explain group activity
- Hand out bags of accessories & start purse designing
- Have groups present their design and merchandising to the class and/or judges.
- Have class vote on their favorite purse.
Strategies for diverse learners
- Visual learners will learn best through the set and the lecture notes. Kinesthetic learners will love the group project that is designing and making a purse. Auditory learners will learn best through the lecture. Interpersonal learners will enjoy working with other people in the group project.
- Assign an in-depth individual fashion design and merchandising project similar to the group project due in three weeks.
- Ask teachers and staff to come in and judge the students presentations.
- For homework the students will write a summary of their in class project and reflect on their successes and failures.
- Have each design group present to a panel of judges and use the rubrics below.
- In what ways were our group projects similar to that of designers and the fashion industry?
- What aspects of design did you incorporate in your purses?
- In what ways does marketing fit into the fashion industry?
- What qualities do males possess that might make them as good as if not better at fashion design than women?
- Bag Market Competition Student Instructions (PDF)
- Bag Check Off List (PDF)
- Store Window Drawing (PDF)
- Blank Billboard (PDF)
- Bag Market Presentations Rubric (Word)
- Bag Market Judging Sheet (Word)
Similar Lesson Plans